If you live, breathe and sleep rugby, then we’re the college for you. You can study any of our full time school leaver study programmes in any subject, including sport and A Levels and become a member of our Rugby Academy.
You’ll develop the knowledge and expertise you need for a career or to move on to university or an apprenticeship and and gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst training and playing each week to develop your rugby skills.
Development Pathway Programme
To make sure all our academy members stay at the top of their game and are able to improve, we’ve created a unique development pathway programme with a dedicated package of support for each level.
Roll of Honour
- Will McCubbin - Scottish Exiles, Northumberland U18’s, Morpeth RFC
- Matthew Jenkinson - Scottish Exiles, Northumberland U18’s and U20’s, Blaydon RFC, Northumbria Uni 1 stteam
- Robbie Forbes - England U18’s, Bristol, Gloucester, Hartpury University 1st team, Ryton RFC Durham County U18’s
- Larry Mew - Newcastle Falcons Academy, North of England, Northumberland County U18’s and U20’s, Ponteland RFC
- Elliott Beattie - Newcastle Falcons Academy, Hartpury University, Blaydon RFC, Durham County U18’s and U20’s
- Association of Colleges Sport Rugby Union North East league winners (2014-2015 and 2015-2016)
- Only RFU Beacon College in the North East
- Association of Colleges Sport Rugby Union National Cup semi-finalist (2015-2016)
I went to Gateshead College as I knew I’d be able to follow my passion for sport. I joined the Rugby Academy and progressed so much in my first year that I got asked to go on trial for Newcastle Falcons Junior Academy. I was successful in the trials and got in. I probably wouldn’t have had that opportunity if it wasn’t for the college and the coaches, who pushed me to succeed.
Matthew Fieldhouse, Head Coach, Rugby Academy
Having played and worked as a rugby coach for almost 10 years, Matt has a wide range of experience both on and off the rugby pitch.
Matt is currently a Rugby Football Union (RFU) Trainer and is Assistant Coach for Tynedale 1st XV. Before joining Gateshead College, Matt was Head Coach at Newcastle University. He has also played for various clubs including Tynedale RFC, Northumbria University, Northumberland County RFC, Newcastle Falcons Academy and Mahurangi, North Harbour, New Zealand.
Check out our range of sport and fitness courses taught at our outstanding Academy for Sport.Explore