Sport Level 1
Mon Sep 04 2023
Day / Time
This course is perfect for you if you want to start a career in the sport and active leisure industry.
You’ll study all aspects of how and where to participate in sport, look at improving fitness, healthy lifestyle, sport in the workplace and working safely.
We’ll help you to develop the skills that show your potential to an employer. This includes how you can use your knowledge to best effect, that you have the right attitude, high standards and will be a great asset to their business.
As part of this qualification you will study the following units:
- Taking part in sport
- Personal exercise and fitness
- Developing sports volunteering skills
- Assisting at a sports event
- Effect of exercise on human body systems
- You will also study towards an English and maths GCSE/Functional skills qualification alongside your main course with our expert teaching team.
All students also take part in Personal and Social Development lessons with topics ranging from job applications to personal finance.
You will have the opportunity to join of one of our eight sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 4.5 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment*
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
Our eight specialist academies are:
- Men's Football
- Men's Rugby
- Women's Football
- Women's Rugby
They all offer outstanding, training, coaching and playing opportunities for everyone of all abilities.
Throughout the course, we'll monitor your progress and provide constructive feedback to help you to improve where needed. We'll measure your skills and knowledge against nationally recognised standards specific to the sport sector. We assess you in a range of ways including projects from which you'll create a portfolio of evidence and practical tasks such as taking part in sports, fitness tests and customer service interviews.
At the Academy for Sport, we have over 25 sport delivery staff including teachers, coaches and learning facilitators all ready to support your learning journey.
Each member of the team has their own specialist subjects that they
will be teaching you, for example we have specialists in Anatomy, Massage, Coaching, Sports Development, PE and School Sport, Leadership, Event Management, Psychology, Biomechanics, Nutrition and much more. They all have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
Each student will undertake a 30 hour work placement or participate in work readiness activities.
You'll study at our Academy for Sport, where our facilities are among the best in the country and include:
- Classrooms equipped with integrated IT
- Sports science and sports therapy facilities
- Performance lab
- 3G and 4G pitches
- Indoor athletics track
- Sports hall
- Strength and conditioning gym
- Massage suite
- Aerobics suite
- Boxing ring
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
For one to one advice, contact our friendly team who will assess your individual circumstances and give you the right information. You can contact them on 0191 490 2246, firstname.lastname@example.org or via Live Chat. Or pop along to one of our Enrolment Events.
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications