Level 3 Sport and Exercise Science
Day / Time
Up to 2 years
Academy for Sport
This course gives you the knowledge and skills to be able to apply the principles of science to enhancing sports performance and develop the foundations for a career in Sport.
You’ll have the opportunity to study a wide range of scientific concepts in a sporting context and complete a work placement.
The units you will study in the first year are:
- Applied Sport Exercise Psychology
- Functional Anatomy
- Physical Activity for Individual and Group Based Exercise
- Applied Research Methods
- Coaching for Performance and Fitness
- Sports Massage
- Sports Injury Assessment
In the second year you will cover:
- Sport and Exercise Physiology
- Nutrition in Sport and Exercise
- Field and Lab Based Fitness Testing
- Research Project
- Technology in Sport
You will have the opportunity to join of one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
Academy sports available are: Mens Football, Womens Football, Mens Rugby, Womens Rugby, Netball, Basketball, Boxing, Athletics and Cricket and all academies can cater from participation level right up to elite athletes.
All academy members will be given free Adidas kit worth £65. If you do not wish to join one of our academies, you will undertake an employment related project designed to develop further your employability skills.
You will primarily be assessed via written course work and some practical assessments such as fitness testing and sports massage.
There will also be two externally assessed exams in both years. In the first year there will be an exam for Functional Anatomy and Applied Sport Psychology and in the second year there will be exams in Physiology and Nutrition.
At the Academy for Sport, we have over 25 sport delivery staff including teachers, coaches and learning facilitators all ready to support your learning journey.
Each member of the team has their own specialist subjects that they will be teaching you, for example we have specialists in Anatomy, Massage, Coaching, Sports Development, PE and School Sport, Leadership, Event Management, Psychology, Biomechanics, Nutrition and much more.
We have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
Academy for Sport is home to the college's sports students and prestigious sports academies who train alongside elite athletes who use the facility. The state-of-the-art academy offers:
• Classrooms equipped with integrated IT
• Sports science and sports therapy facilities
• Performance lab
• Aerobics studio
• Combat studio
• Learning resource centre
• Student run fitness suite
• 83m long athletics hall
• Outdoor artificial and grass pitches floodlit throwing area
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.
You can get more information at our enrolment events, by calling 0191 490 2246 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications