Level 3 Motor Vehicle Body Repair and Paint Refinishing
Mon Sep 07 2020
Day / Time
Skills Academy - Automotive
This course will give you the skills you need to work in today’s motor
vehicle repair industry, including the diagnosis of chassis misalignment,
structural body damage and an insight into specialist painting
This qualifications is industry recognised and forms part of the Repair
Apprenticeship significantly reducing any subsequent apprenticeship making you
more appealing to employers.
You will be working in our fantastic training workshops well equipped with industry standard resources. This is a hands-on course with a focus on practical activities and we maximise the amount of time you will spend in our state-of-the-art workshops.
Core modules will include:
- Knowledge of Health, Safety and Good Housekeeping in the Automotive Environment.
- Knowledge of Support for Job Roles in the Automotive Environment
- Knowledge of Materials, Fabrication, Tools and Measuring Devices used in the Automotive Environment
Specialist modules will include:
- Removing and Replacing Structural Motor Vehicle Body Panels
- Motor Vehicle Body Panel Major Repairs
- Identifying and Rectify Motor Vehicle Body Misalignment
- Motor Vehicle Body MIG/MAG Welding Techniques
- Motor Vehicle Body Resistance Spot Welding Operations
- Motor Vehicle Construction and Materials
- Tools and Equipment used in Vehicle Refinishing
- Working with Plastic Materials and components
- Preparing Metal and Pre-Painted Surfaces
- Establishing Paint Defects
- Applying Topcoats and Completing Refinishing Operations
- Vehicle Colour Matching
The units covered directly link to the current apprenticeship to providing students with the knowledge and skills required to progress, and be a successful contributor to an employer’s business.
You will also attend maths and English sessions and have the opportunity to
improve your GCSE grades and gain a broad knowledge and understanding of health
and safety in the workplace and other skills associated with working in a garage
giving you every opportunity to progress you career within
You will be assessed via observation of practical activity, supported by verbal questioning and the completion of a practical assessment workbook which will contain a variety of practical tasks and knowledge based questions to cover all learning modules.
You will also undertake written assignments and online multiple choice tests which will be graded as pass, merit, or distinction.
As part of your course you will be given the opportunity to take up a work placement with one of our employer partners to get a taste of the world of work and to further enhance your skills and knowledge.
Our partners are some of the best known businesses in the region including Halfords, Arriva, Go North East, Bristol Street Motors, Bells Trucks, Nationwide Accident Repair, CF Recovery as well a number of small independent repairers and specialist dealers like Aston Workshop.
During this course we ensure you develop employability skills and gain relevant experience, this level 3 qualification is designed to prepare students for future employment in the automotive sector giving you the knowledge and skills to progress onto an apprenticeship standard with an employer.
Motor vehicle technicians repair all types of vehicles including cars, vans, motorbikes and heavy vehicles like coaches and lorries. They repair all areas of vehicle from accident damage and restoration to custom body and paint refinishing.
As a technician, your duties could include:
• Identifying faults
• Advising customers if repairs are needed and how critical they are
• Providing time and cost estimates for jobs
• Carrying out repairs and replacing damaged parts
• Road testing the vehicle to check the repair work
• Carrying out routine servicing and checks
There will be a cost of around £26 for safety boots and overalls.
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.
You can get more information at our enrolment events, by calling 0191 490
2246 or email us at email@example.com
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications