Level 2 Leisure Studies
Mon Sep 07 2020
Day / Time
Contact for information
Academy for Sport
This course is for you if you have your eye on a job in the sport and leisure industry. We have worked with Better Leisure Centres to design this course so that you have the employment edge in the leisure industry and can get a head start on your career in leisure management, fitness, swimming and other leisure related careers.
You will study a wide range of modules on this course which
• Factors affecting participation in sport and physical activity
• Health, safety and welfare in sport and active leisure
• Plan, deliver and evaluate sport and leisure activities
• Safeguarding and protecting children and young people in sport and active leisure
• Understanding the fundamentals of coaching sport
• Events organisation in a sport and leisure environment
• Sport and society
• Sports development
• Supporting participants(s)’ lifestyle through coaching sport
• People skills in sport and active leisure
• Understanding how to develop participant(s) through coaching sport
• Understanding the principles of safe and equitable coaching practice
• Rules, regulations and officiating in sport
You will also study towards an English or maths GCSE alongside your sport
course with our expert English and maths teaching team and you will take part in
personal and social development lessons with topics ranging from job
applications to personal finance.
We have teamed up with the Better Leisure Centres to give you a 30 hour work
experience in swimming coaching , lifeguarding, gymnastics coaching, leisure
operations and management
You will complete your placement over an 8 week period where you will undertake a half day "shift" that will fit around your timetable.
Academy for Sport is home to the College's sports students and prestigious sports academies who train alongside elite athletes who use the facility. The state-of-the-art academy offers:
• Classrooms equipped with integrated IT
• Sports science and sports therapy facilities
• Performance lab
• Aerobics studio
• Combat studio
• Learning resource centre
• Student run fitness suite
• 83m long athletics hall
• Outdoor artificial and grass pitches floodlit throwing area
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.
You can get more information at our enrolment events, by calling 0191 490 2246 or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
You will have the opportunity to join of one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
• Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to
competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
• Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
• The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
• A personalised training and development programme
Academy sports available are: mens football, womens football, mens rugby,
womens rugby, netball, basketball, boxing, athletics and cricket and all
academies can cater from participation level right up to elite athletes. All
academy members will be given free Adidas kit worth £79. If you do not wish to
join one of our academies, you will undertake an employment related project
designed to develop further your employability skills.
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications