Level 2 Diploma in Sport
Tue Sep 08 2020
Day / Time
Academy for Sport
If you like sport and want to turn your passion into a job, this could be the course for you. This course will prepare you for entry-level job roles in the sports industry such as sports leadership and coaching or you might be interested in moving on to an apprenticeship in sport or fitness.
You could also use this course to access our level 3 sport programmes if you have an eye on higher level study in the future.
You will study 7 modules on this programme which include:
- Fitness testing & training
- Anatomy & physiology
- Practical sport
- How to lead sport activities
- How to advise about sports nutrition
- How to advise about sports injuries
- Technical and tactical components for sport
You will also study towards an English or maths GCSE alongside your sport course with our expert English and maths teaching team and you will take part in Personal and Social development lessons with topics ranging from job applications to personal finance.
You will have the opportunity to join of one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
Academy sports available are: mens football, womens football, mens rugby, womens rugby, netball, basketball, boxing, athletics and cricket and all academies can cater from participation level right up to elite athletes.
All academy members will be given free Adidas kit worth £79. If you do not wish to join one of our academies, you will undertake an employment related project designed to develop further your employability skills.
The course is delivered predominantly in the classroom with some elements of practical activity.
You will complete a set of coursework activities for each unit that you study which will range from written work, practical assessments, presentations and posters with pass, merit and distinction criteria.
For each assessment you will work to a clear deadline and can ask the teaching team for help and guidance along the way.
At the Academy for Sport, we have over 25 sport delivery staff including teachers, coaches and learning facilitators all ready to support your learning journey.
Each member of the team has their own specialist subjects that they will be teaching you, for example we have specialists in Anatomy, Massage, Coaching, Sports Development, PE and School Sport, Leadership, Event Management, Psychology, Biomechanics, Nutrition and much more.
We have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
Everyone will undertake a 30 hour work placement or work readiness activities as part of our employment edge promise.
Students can choose to gain experience working in gyms, sports camps, schools or the leisure services.
Academy for Sport is home to the college's sports students and prestigious sports academies who train alongside elite athletes who use the facility. The state-of-the-art academy offers:
- Classrooms equipped with integrated IT
- Sports science and sports therapy facilities
- Performance lab
- Aerobics studio
- Combat studio
- Learning resource centre
- Student run fitness suite
- 83m long athletics hall
- Outdoor artificial and grass pitches floodlit throwing area
After the course you will have the skills and knowledge so you can seek employment or an apprenticeship in the sport industry in an entry level role. Or you may choose to continue your studies and choose one of our Level 3 courses.
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications