Level 1 Motor Vehicle Body Repair and Paint Refinishing
Mon Sep 07 2020
Day / Time
Skills Academy - Automotive
Motor vehicle technicians repair all types of vehicles including cars, vans, motorbikes and heavy vehicles like coaches and lorries. They work on all areas of vehicle repair from accident damage, restorations to custom body and paintwork.
If you are enthusiastic about cars and fancy a career in vehicle accident repair or vehicle customising this course will help you to start to the build the skills and knowledge you need.You'll get the technical skills you need to be a technician, working on a wide range of vehicles in all types of garages, dealerships and specialist repair shops.
Working in our fantastic training workshops equipped with industry standard kit, you'll enjoy lots of practical activities.
During the first six weeks, you'll experience a range of different
aspects of the automotive industry including mechanical, servicing, body
repair and paint refinishing. You'll then have the opportunity to choose a
specialism to continue in.
Modules will include:
- Health and safety practices in vehicle maintenance
- Tools, equipment and materials for vehicle maintenance
- Applying engineering techniques in an automotive environment
- Vehicle body repair techniques
- Vehicle fabrication and welding
- All aspects of paint refinishing
- Moving loads and vehicle jacking
The units covered link to the current apprenticeship standards meaing if you
choose to progress to an apprenticeship you will be up to speed on the skills
employers look for.
As part of the course you will also study:
- Maths and English sessions and have the opportunity to improve your GCSE grades
- Health and safety in the workplace
- Key behavioural skills required in a working garage such as team work and communication.
We're connected to some of the best known businesses in the region such as Halfords, Arriva, Go North East, Bristol Street Motors, Bells Trucks, Nationwide Accident Repair, CF Recovery as well as as small, independent specialists such as Aston Workshop.
This means you'll enjoy lots of contact with employers such as guest speaking and competitions, giving you the opportunity to understand first hand what it is like to work in the industry.
You'll also take part in work experience, working as part of a professional team and getting a taste of the world of work.
This level 1 course is designed to provide you with an introduction to
the world of automotive, giving you the knowledge and skills to progress onto an
apprenticeship or further develop your skills on a level 2
There will be an additional cost of £26.50 for safety boots and coveralls.
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Aspergers or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications
This course is free to those aged under 19 years old.
Most people aged 19 years and over can qualify for free or reduced price course fees and there are grants and bursaries you can apply for to help cover the costs of coming to college, depending on your circumstances.
If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan or pay the fee upfront in full and qualify for a 10% discount.