Higher National Diploma (HND) Games Production
Mon Sep 20 2021
Day / Time
Weekdays (daytime & evening)
The HND Games Development course from BTEC (Pearson) is an industry wide recognised and respected level 4 & 5 vocational qualification. The course is designed to enhance the skills and techniques you have covered at L3, or in employment, and improve them in readiness for your career choice or further study.
The course is delivered over 2 years with an HNC 1st year followed by the HND
When complete you have the option of moving into employment or finding a suitable university to complete your top degree, to gain a full Bachelor degree.
Our live studio simultaneously delivers real world work experience and a qualification. You will have the opportunity to work alongside industry professionals and use industry standard equipment to produce quality media products for various platforms and to contribute to stunning, exciting games and visual effects.
Experience practical and purpose-driven master classes, in which you will gain a broad mix of contemporary and traditional skill sets culminating in a comprehensive portfolio to assist you in getting a career in an exciting and ever-expanding creative industry. The qualification will enable you to develop your transferable and high level academic, analytical and critical thinking skills. These fundamental skills will be key to not only your success on the course, but to your future career as a creative professional.
Units below are subject to change depending on industry requirements.
Year 1 (HNC)
• Individual research project - leading to the design and creation of a
• Professional practice - developing awareness in the opportunities and challenges within the game industry.
• Games development practices - key underpinning skills and theories in the planning and development of video games.
• Game in context - explores the social, cultural and economic impact of the games industry.
• Creative media industry - explore the games industry and its production practices.
• Principles of animation – develop the skills and techniques used in animation.
• User experience and interface design – introduction to the tools and concepts to design.
• Games Design – creating games.
Year 2 (HND)
• Professional development – understanding the transition from study to
freelance and employment.
• Narrative – as games move towards a more cinematic approach, we look at how narrative plays a part.
• Advanced game development – underpinning the necessary skills to work as a game’s developer.
• Emerging technologies – investigate new technologies and the impact on the game industry.
• Collaborative project – understanding team working skills and how they are needed I the games industry.
• Advanced 3D modelling – detailed techniques for 3d Modelling software.
• Scripting for Games – develop practical skills in in scripting for games engines.
Unity, Unreal, Blender, 3Ds Max, Adobe Creative Suite
Requirements for the course are Merit at UAL or MMP at BTEC L3. If you have not achieved these grades your applications are still welcome but will be subject to an interview and portfolio check. GCSE English and Maths at grade 9-4 (A*-C).
We welcome applications from mature students without these qualifications but with relevant experience.
An interview is required.
There are loans available that you can apply for to help cover the costs of course fees and living costs (if studying full time).
For more information or advice, contact our finance support services on 0191 490 4627 or 0191 426 4329. Our support funds team can also be emailed at email@example.com
Please note; courses will run subject to sufficient student numbers.
Some of the content may move to online learning depending on COVID 19 Guidelines.
Some units are subject to change depending on industry requirements.