Higher National Diploma (HND) Computing and DevOps
Mon Sep 20 2021
Day / Time
£5995 per year
This is a qualification enabling you to take your first steps into employment, or if you are already in employment, seek career development opportunities. It is widely recognised by industry and higher education as the principal vocational qualification at Levels 4 and 5.
The course has been specifically designed to reflect the increasing need for high quality professional and technical education, thereby providing you with a clear line of sight to employment and to progression to a degree at Level 6, for example onto an Applied Computing top up degree at Northumbria University. It aims to develop you as a professional, self-reflecting individual able to meet the demands of employers in the computing sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. You will develop computing skills, knowledge and understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global computing environment.
There are a range of careers which you could progress into, including Software Developer, IT Project Manager, Support Analyst, Software Analyst, General Management of IT Systems.
Year 1 of the programme aims to develop a broad knowledge and awareness of key aspects of the computing sector including software, database and web development, networking and security, and project management. It includes:
- The core concepts of programming, algorithms and the characteristics of programming paradigms to enable you to design and implement algorithms in a chosen language within a suitable Integrated Development Environment (IDE).
- Exploring a range of hardware, with related software, to gain knowledge and skills to successfully install, operate and troubleshoot a small network; and the operation of IP data networks, router, switching technologies, IP routing technologies, IP services and basic troubleshooting.
- Gaining the knowledge and skills necessary to design and develop a relational database system using SQL for a substantial problem, test the system to ensure it meets user and system requirements and fully document the system by providing technical and user documentation.
- Utilising website technologies, tools and software to create multipage websites. Using HTML, CSS, PHP, Laravel and Angular
- Will achieve a foundation in data analytics and gain hands on experience using a programming language such as Python, R or a tool such as PowerBI
- Completing a successful research project into a relevant and current
topical aspect of computing in the context of the business environment and
area of interest.
Year 2 of the programme aims to develop a more comprehensive understanding of advanced programming, cloud computing, artificial intelligence, augmented reality and internet of things through:
- Completing research in a specific field of study to prepare students for the dissertation they will undertake in Level 6 at University
- Exploring the different tools and techniques relating to business intelligence functionality.
- Writing code in an object-orientated fashion using design patterns where necessary and be to model their code structure in UML class diagrams
- Gaining hands-on experience of configuring a cloud service and implementing a simple cloud platform using open source software with an appropriate networking platform.
- Planning, building and measuring the success of an appropriate Virtual Reality or Augmented Reality software application
- Investigate a range of technologies which are necessary and appropriate when designing and developing software applications while gaining hands-on experience
- Examining the fundamental concepts in artificial intelligence and gaining hands-on experience in developing intelligent systems using a programming language.
Strong links with businesses such as Accenture and initiatives like PROTO means the curriculum can be enhanced and tailored to the needs of the digital growth in the region. At Gateshead College we are dedicated to giving students the best experience, with this in mind businesses are invited in to give talks and conduct workshops on topics related to the curriculum.
96 Tariff points and grade GCSE English Language and maths at grade 9-4 (A*-C).
An interview is required and guidance is required.
Mature candidates with relevant work experience are encouraged to apply.
There are loans available that you can apply for to help cover the costs of course fees and living costs(if studying full time).
For more information or advice, contact our finance support services on 0191 490 4627 or 0191 426 4329. Our support funds team can also be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note: Courses will run subject to sufficient student numbers.
Some units are subject to change depending on industry requirements.
Sometimes planned delivery is subject to change, for example moving to remote learning. If this is the case we will clearly communicate this to you beforehand.