Higher National Certificate (HNC) Civil Engineering
Mon Sep 20 2021
Day / Time
Weekdays (daytime & evening)
As a highly qualified construction professional you will be part of a valued industry which is vital to the future of the country.
The new HNC Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications in Civil Engineering was developed in collaboration with a wide range of students, employers, higher education providers, colleges and subject experts to ensure that the new qualifications meet their needs and expectations.
There is now a greater emphasis on employer engagement and work readiness. The new BTEC Higher National qualifications in Civil Engineering was designed to reflect this increasing need for high quality professional and technical education pathways at Levels 4 and 5, thereby providing students with a clear line of sight to employment and to progression to a degree at Level 6.
In developing the Pearson BTEC Higher National qualifications in Construction, Pearson’s have sought to align this qualification and to meet the requirements with the following professional bodies:
• Institution of Civil Engineers (ICE)
• Institution of Structural Engineers (iStructE)
• Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB)
• Chartered Institute of Architectural Technologists (CIAT)
The Level 4 BTEC Higher National Certificate in Civil Engineering offers students a broad introduction to the subject area via a mandatory core of learning, as well as units within general ‘pathways’, while allowing for the acquisition of skills and experience through the selection of a further (Level 4) unit across a range of occupational sectors. This effectively builds underpinning core skills, with general specialisation; preparing the student for further specialisation at Level 5.
The career opportunities in the construction Industry are wide, varied and rewarding. Alongside this there is an opportunity to progress academically from HNC through HND to a relevant engineering degree programme, such as BSc Civil Engineering or BA/BSc Structural Engineering.
• UNIT 1: Individual project
• UNIT 2: Construction technology
• UNIT 3: Science & Materials
• UNIT 4: Construction practice and Management
• UNIT 6: Construction Information (Drawing, Detailing, Specification)
• UNIT 8: Mathematics for Construction
• UNIT 20: Principles of Structural Design
• + 1 Optional Unit
The programme is delivered by experienced practitioners who will be using a wide range of strategies to facilitate your learning. Students will gain a wide range of sector knowledge tied to practical skills gained in research, self-study, directed study and workplace scenarios.
Any of the following:
- A BTEC Level 3 qualification in Construction.
- A GCE Advanced Level profile that demonstrates strong performance in a relevant subject or adequate performance in more than one GCE subject. This profile is likely to be supported by GCSE grades at A* to C and/or 9 to 4 (or equivalent).
- An Access to Higher Education Diploma awarded by an approved further education institution.
- Other related Level 3 qualifications.
- Related work experience would also be
There are loans available that you can apply for to help cover the costs of course fees and living costs(if studying full time).
For more information or advice, contact our finance support services on 0191 490 4627 or 0191 426 4329. Our support funds team can also be emailed at firstname.lastname@example.org