Health, Exercise and Fitness Instruction Level 2
Mon Sep 05 2022
Day / Time
Academy for Sport
This course will prepare you for work in the health and fitness industry.
This course is a pre requisite for the Level 3 Personal Training for Health, Fitness and Performance course, which will again provide you with the tools to make a successful career in Personal Training.
You will follow a study programme which includes tutorials, academy, career days, and personal social development and depending on GCSE results English and maths, all running alongside the main programme of course.
You will complete a relevant and meaningful work placement of 30 hours within the industry which will allow you to become more work ready and help get you ahead in the jobs market.
This course will prepare you for work in the health and fitness industry. You will study:
- Anatomy and physiology covering the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- Employment law, industry-specific legislation and procedures that apply to their jobs
- The subsectors that make up the active leisure and learning sector
- An understanding of the principles of customer service
- An understanding of the benefits of a balanced diet and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
- How to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- How to programme a variety of safe and effective exercise sessions for a range of clients
- How to instruct a variety of exercise sessions
You will also study:
- Level 2 Instructing Circuits
- Level 2 Instructing Kettlebells
- Planning and designing health and fitness activity for children
- Deliver a health and fitness activity for children
You will also study English and maths if you don't already have a grade 4 or above in either of these subjects. The final part of your study programme is a fitness industry work placement.
You’ll have the opportunity to join one of our eight sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 4.5 hours of professional training each week, access to
competitions and specialist
sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment*
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
- Access to some of the best facilities in the country with two 11-a-side 4G football pitches, sports science and medicine facilities, a performance lab, an aerobics studio and a superb 83m long athletics hall.
If you prefer not to join a sports academy you will become a member of our
fitness academy group which takes part in and leads fitness activities at the
Academy for Sport.
*subject to screening process
- Course work
- Two multiple choice exams in anatomy and principles of exercise
- Practical demonstration assessment
- Portfolio work
experience at college the very best it can be. They have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
After the course you can progres onto a Level 3 course such as Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training, Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral for Specified Controlled Certificate in Personal Training, Level 3 Award in Programming and Supervising Exercise with Disabled Clients, Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga or Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates.
Whatever support you need, we’re here for you and will make sure you get the most out of your time at college.
We have expert teams in place to look after every single one of our students.
Our specialist teams can help with:
- Learning difficulties
- Physical and sensory disabilities
- Dyslexia, Dyspraxia, ADHD, Asperger’s Syndrome or other specific learning difficulties
- Mental health and well being
- Exam access arrangements
- Money, finance and bursary advice
- Careers advice, job and university applications