Go North East Bus Driver Training
Day / Time
Various Times & Days
Contact for information
If you'd like to be a bus driver for one of the UK's leading providers of
passenger transport, Go North East, then join us on this award-winning
programme, delivered in partnership with JobCentre Plus, that
will give you the specific skills, knowledge and behaviours needed.
Plus, we'll help you prep for interview and apply for a position
once you complete the course.
This unique opportunity will provide you with the essential skills and knowledge required to be successful in your application to Go North East. Not only will you benefit from attending a range of guest speaker events to understand more about the job role you are also guaranteed an interview at Go North East on successful completion of the course.
Over four weeks, Monday to Friday, you will cover:
• Introduction to the transport industry
• A day in the life of a Bus Driver
• Giving customers a positive impression
• Working with colleagues as an effective part of a team
• Health, safety and security
• Equality and diversity
• Application and interview techniques
In this programme you will study the following accredited short
• Employability Skills
• Occupational Studies in the workplace; customer service, transport and tourism.
• Equality and diversity
• Health and safety
For over 100 years, Go North East has connected the region's towns and villages with the cities of Newcastle, Durham and Sunderland and currently operates across Northumberland, Tyne and Wear, County Durham and into Tees Valley. 175,000 journeys are made on Go North East bus services every day. Employing over 2,000 local people, with a fleet of almost 700 buses and coaches and an the regional subsidiary of the Go-Ahead Group plc is one of the UK's leading providers of passenger transport.
If you are over 19 years old, unemployed and in receipt of benefits and meet the following criteria you can apply for a place on this course.
- Applicants must have held a full UK or EU/EEA driving licence for at least
(All Foreign driving licences must be exchanged to a Full UK licence prior to submitting an application for employment)
- A maximum of 6 penalty points is allowed within the past 4-year period.
- Drink Driving convictions remain on your driving licence for a period of 11 years. Go-North East will not accept applications which display such a conviction within this period of time.
- No period of disqualification is allowed within the past 5 years.
- In date convictions will be taken into account, and individual sentences will be assessed against our employment criteria. (Under the Rehabilitation of Offenders act, all spent convictions need not be disclosed and will not be taken into consideration)
- If you have previously applied and have been unsuccessful within the recruitment system, then you must wait until a period of 12 months has passed before you can re-apply for a position.
- Once you have left the employ of Go-North East you must wait until a
period of 12 months has passed before you can re-apply for a position
(re-employment will be subject to satisfactory internal
Employees who have been Summarily Dismissed from Go-North East or have resigned whilst a disciplinary investigation has been initiated, will not be considered for re-employment
- Go-North East is an Equal opportunities employer and welcomes applications from all nationalities. It is essential however that you can provide all of the required Asylum and Immigration documentation, which is required for employment within the UK (see Asylum & Immigration Act 1996). In addition, all Foreign Nationals must be able to provide proof that they have achieved a minimum of Esol English Language entry level 3 or equivalent. Alternatively, a full UK passport will be acceptable.
- Any health issues to be declared, these will be dealt with individually with occupation health on Go-North East assessment day. Assessment day will take place if successful in guaranteed interview.
* EEA citizens must have resided within the UK for at least 185 days within the past 12 months before they can take a PCV test.
Keith Robertson, recruitment and training manager at Go North East, commented: "We are proud to offer a training scheme that gives people in our region the opportunity and support they need to prepare themselves for work; ensuring their chances of future employment are improved for life.”
Please note; we release the full details of our Part Time courses around April. Until then all details of this and our other Part Time courses are subject to change.
To find out more please join our mailing list by selecting the Enquire Now button on this page and we will keep you up to date.