Day / Time
Tuesdays 1pm to 4pm or Thursdays 6pm to 9pm
Contact for information
This course is for you if:
• You want to access further or higher education
• You wish to progress at work or access new job opportunities
You will be introduced to a range of texts and engage with creative, as well
as real and relevant contexts. You will have opportunities to develop
higher-order reading and critical thinking skills that encourage genuine enquiry
into different topics and themes.
The course will enable you to develop the skills you need to read, understand and analyse a wide range of different texts covering the 19th, 20th and 21st century time periods, as well as to write clearly, coherently and accurately using a range of vocabulary and sentence structures. Personal response is key to this course and focusing on the effect of all these techniques is central.
For GCSE English Language students should be able to:
• Read fluently, and with good understanding, a wide range of texts from the 19th, 20th and
21st centuries, including literature and literary non-fiction as well as other writing such as
reviews and journalism
• Read and evaluate texts critically and make comparisons between texts
• Summarise and synthesise information or ideas from texts
• Use knowledge gained from wide reading to inform and improve your own writing
• Write effectively and coherently using Standard English
• Use grammar correctly and punctuate and spell accurately
• Acquire and apply a wide vocabulary, alongside a knowledge and understanding of
grammatical terminology, and linguistic conventions for reading, writing and spoken language
• Listen to and understand spoken language and use spoken Standard English effectively
Please note; we release the full details of our Part Time courses around April. Until then all details of this and our other Part Time courses are subject to change.
To find out more please join our mailing list by selecting the Enquire Now button on this page and we will keep you up to date.