Access to Higher Education Diploma: Science
Mon Sep 07 2020
Day / Time
Contact for information
If you'd like to study at degree level but don’t hold the necessary qualifications, our Access to HE Diploma (Science) is for you. Our Access to HE Diplomas are the ideal way to get on track if you don’t hold the necessary qualifications that you need to get onto a degree course.
Our courses provide a Level 3 qualification, which prepares you for life on a degree programme. All our courses run at times to fit around family commitments and you get free car parking and access to our childcare voucher scheme.
The QAA Access to HE Diploma is awarded by One Awards and recognised for entry to Higher Education courses across England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Typical undergraduate destinations for our students include Dentistry,
Physiotherapy, Engineering, Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Chemistry, Pharmacy,
Physiology, Forensic Sciences, Chemistry, Food and Nutrition amongst other
pathways. Come and see us if you want to discuss a progression route to
The Diploma consists of 5 academic subject sets:
- Biology - covering Cell and Molecular Biology, Cell Reproduction and Chromosomal Expression, Anatomy and Physiology of Organ Systems.
- Biochemistry- chemical structure and role of biological molecules.
- Chemistry - Atomic Structure, Bonding and the Periodic Table, Fundamental Principles of Physical Chemistry, Investigative Chemistry, Organic Chemistry and Chemical Applications
- Physics - Basic Mechanics, Heat Materials and Atoms, Oscillations and Waves, Electricity, Fields and Electromagnetism
- Mathematics - Algebra, Number, Geometry and Trigonometry
Together with a Study Skills unit.
This course is not a higher education programme but is designed upon
successful completion to enable you to go on to study a higher education course.
Before coming to one of our enrolment events you need to know which Access to HE
Diploma you need to study to get onto your degree course. By using http://www.ucas.com you can search the subject to
find which university offers which degree programme and what the entry
requirements for the course are. If you are unable to find the information you
need, every higher education institution has admissions staff who will be happy
to help you with course information.
- Access to Higher Education courses are designed for adults who would like
to study at
university but who currently don’t have the qualifications they need, such as A Levels
- The Access to HE Diploma is offered by providers and accepted by
England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland
- Through Access courses students can achieve the Access to HE Diploma, awarded by One Awards, which is regulated by QAA (The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education)
- Each year around 40,000 students enroll on Access to HE courses across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- One Awards works with providers to award the Access to HE Diploma; over 2500 students each year are registered on the qualification with a view to progressing onto Higher Education or employment
- The Access to HE Diploma is funded for students aged 19-23 without a
current level 3
qualification. Those aged 19 and above can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the course fees and, if students successfully complete their HE course, it will be written off
- To be awarded the Access to HE Diploma students must achieve units totaling 60 credits, 45 credits are from graded units at Level 3 and 15 credits are from ungraded units at Level 2 or 3
- Assessment is internally set, flexible and tailored to individual student needs. Units totaling 45 credits are graded Pass, Merit or Distinction to help students demonstrate to universities the standard they have achieved. The remaining 15 credits are ungraded.
2 GCSE grade 4 (C) or above in English and Maths.
Upon applying for the Diploma you will need to have an interview, complete
initial assessments for maths, English and comprehension, at one of our
enrolment events, before being accepted on the course. You will be
provided with an invite to an interview at one of our open events and be given
information on how you can prepare.