Access to Higher Education Diploma: Science
Mon Sep 05 2022
Day / Time
Contact for information
If you'd like to study at degree level but don’t hold the necessary qualifications, our Access to HE Diploma (Science) is for you. Our Access to HE Diplomas are the ideal way to get on track if you don’t hold the necessary qualifications that you need to get onto a degree course.
Our courses provide a Level 3 qualification, which prepare you for life on a degree programme. All our courses run at times to fit around family commitments and you get free car parking and access to our childcare voucher scheme.
The QAA Access to HE Diploma is awarded by One Awards and recognised for entry to Higher Education courses across England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland.
Typical undergraduate destinations for our students include Dentistry,
Physiotherapy, Engineering, Sciences, Biomedical Sciences, Chemistry, Pharmacy,
Physiology, Forensic Sciences, Chemistry, Food and Nutrition amongst other
The Diploma consists of 5 academic subject sets:
- Biology - covering cell and molecular biology, cell reproduction and chromosomal expression, anatomy and physiology of organ systems.
- Biochemistry- chemical structure and role of biological molecules.
- Chemistry - atomic structure, bonding and the periodic table, fundamental principles of physical chemistry, investigative chemistry, organic chemistry and chemical applications
- Physics - basic mechanics, heat materials and atoms, oscillations and waves, electricity, fields and electromagnetism
- Mathematics - algebra, number, geometry and trigonometry
In addition, you'll also explore a Study Skills unit.
This course is not a higher education programme but upon successful completion it will enable you to go on to study a higher education course.
Please ensure you know which Access to HE Diploma you need to study to
get onto your degree course. Click this link: http://www.ucas.com to find which university
offers which degree programme and what the entry requirements for the course
are. If you are unable to find the information you need, every higher education
institution has admissions staff who will be happy to help you with course
- Access to Higher Education courses are designed for adults who would like
to study at
university but who currently don’t have the qualifications they need, such as A Levels
- The Access to HE Diploma is offered by providers and accepted by
England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland
- Through Access courses students can achieve the Access to HE Diploma, awarded by One Awards, which is regulated by QAA (The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education)
- Each year around 40,000 students enroll on Access to HE courses across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- One Awards works with providers to award the Access to HE Diploma; over 2500 students each year are registered on the qualification with a view to progressing onto Higher Education or employment
- The Access to HE Diploma is funded for students aged 19-23 without a
current level 3
qualification. Those aged 19 and above can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the course fees and, if students successfully complete their HE course, it will be written off
- To be awarded the Access to HE Diploma students must achieve units totaling 60 credits, 45 credits are from graded units at Level 3 and 15 credits are from ungraded units at Level 2 or 3
- Assessment is internally set, flexible and tailored to individual student needs. Units totaling 45 credits are graded Pass, Merit or Distinction to help students demonstrate to universities the standard they have achieved. The remaining 15 credits are ungraded.
You will need to have an interview, complete initial assessments for maths, English and comprehension before being accepted on the course.
You must be over 18 years old to apply for this course.
For suitable courses 16-18 year olds please see our 16-18 offer.