Access to Higher Education Diploma: Education
Wed Sep 07 2022
Day / Time
If you'd like to be a teacher but don't yet have the qualifications you need to study a degree, this programme could be for you.
This one year, intensive programme is designed to support you to get the qualifications you need to get into university to study at degree level. Run by a team of friendly, supportive and approachable teaching professionals, the course times will fit around your busy adult life and we'll offer as much support as we can to help you be successful.
Is it for me?
The course is ideal if you would like to change careers or step into teaching. It is relevant to:
- Primary education
- Secondary education
- Post 16 education
Benefits to you
- Free student car parking
- Family/busy life friendly timetable
- Lots of teaching support
- Small class sizes
- Small, accessible, modern campus
The programme consists of four subject sets:
- Education theory and practice
- Education studies
- English language and literature
The cost of this course can vary depending on your age and circumstances:
- If you are aged 18 this course is free.
- If you are aged 19 - 23 and this is your first full level 3 qualification this course is free.
- If you already have a full level 3 qualification and are aged 19 years or over, you can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the costs. If you go onto to complete a higher education degree course the remaining balance of your loan will be 'written off' which means you won't have to pay it back.
- If you pay the full fee upfront on enrolment, you will qualify for a 10 %
For an up to date cost and more finance information please visit an Enrolment Event, call 0191 490 2246 or email us at email@example.com
- Access to Higher Education courses are designed for adults who would like to study at university but who currently don’t have the qualifications they need, such as A Levels
- The Access to HE Diploma is offered by providers and accepted by universities throughout England, Wales, Northern Ireland and Scotland
- Through Access courses students can achieve the Access to HE Diploma, awarded by One Awards, which is regulated by QAA (The Quality Assurance Agency for Higher Education)
- Each year around 40,000 students enroll on Access to HE courses across England, Wales and Northern Ireland
- One Awards works with providers to award the Access to HE Diploma; over 2500 students each year are registered on the qualification with a view to progressing onto Higher Education or employment
- The Access to HE Diploma is funded for students aged 19-23 without a current level 3 qualification. Those aged 19 and above can apply for an Advanced Learning Loan to cover the course fees and, if students successfully complete their HE course, it will be written off
- To be awarded the Access to HE Diploma students must achieve units totaling 60 credits, 45 credits are from graded units at Level 3 and 15 credits are from ungraded units at Level 2 or 3
- Assessment is internally set, flexible and tailored to individual student needs. Units totaling 45 credits are graded Pass, Merit or Distinction to help students demonstrate to universities the standard they have achieved. The remaining 15 credits are ungraded.
Our teachers are ambitious, talented and passionate about making your experience at college the very best it can be. They have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
They also understand the challenges of returning to study as an adult and they pride themselves on offering lots of one to one support to help you do your very best.
Ideally five GCSE grades A * - C (9 - 4) including English, maths and a science subject. You must be over 18 years old to attend this course.
You'll also need to have an interview and successfully complete a written test prior to being offered a place on the course.
You must be over 18 years old to apply for this course.
For suitable courses 16-18 year olds please see our 16-18 offer.
"A great course to allow students to be academically qualified for BA Primary Education and the other courses we offer at Northumbria.”
- Northumbria University Admissions
"I can confirm that Durham is happy to consider applications to our BA (Hons) Primary Education from students who have studied the Access to HE Diploma."
- Durham University Admissions