Women's Football Academy
If you live, breathe and sleep football, then we’re the college for you. You can study any of our full time school leaver programmes, including sport or A Levels and become a member of our Women’s Football Academy.
You’ll develop the knowledge and expertise you need for a career in sport or to move on to university or an apprenticeship and gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst training and playing each week to develop your football skills.
“I chose Gateshead College because I wanted to further my education while still playing football. I got to train at great facilities and work with amazing people. Coming to college provided me with an opportunity to play in America and I believe this help me become more experienced as a player and helped me to get selected for the England senior squad.”
Roll of Honour
- Jill Scott - Manchester City Women and England
- Carly Telford – Chelsea and England
- Demi Stokes - Manchester City Women and England
- Danielle Brown - Sunderland Ladies and England U19
- Rachel Furness – Tottenham Hotspur and Northern Ireland
- Rachael Laws - Reading and England
- Julie Lowe - England U19
- Helen Alderson - England U19
- Keira Ramshaw - England U19
- Abbey Joice - England U19
- Bridget Galloway – England u19
- Jess Brown – England u17
- Neve Herron – England u17
- 27 National Titles - including English Schools Football Association, AoC League Winners, AoC National Play off Winners and National Cups
- 20 players representing England Colleges National Team
Meet the coach
Melanie Reay, Head Coach
Melanie has worked at Gateshead College for 16 years overseeing the development of hundreds of female footballers. Through a structured program that combines tactical and technical sessions to two squads on a daily basis, and with the assistance of coaches and strength and conditioning professionals, she prepares each squad for competitive football every Wednesday in the AoC League. We cater for those varying in ability from participation to the elite, it has produced many national titles and boasts alumni such as the current England Lionesses Jill Scott, Carly Telford and Demi Stokes.
Personal highlight in her career thus far, the most recent of which assisting England Head Coach Phil Neville in his first two World Cup qualifiers against Wales and Bosnia. Melanie said “The whole camp was a refreshing challenge and one which I thoroughly enjoyed. The experiences of working with the best players in England was a privilege along with the process of planning, delivering, evaluating and presenting my findings back to Phil, in all of which I thrived.”
Charlotte is a former Academy for Sport student. She studied at the College in 2011-2012 on a BTEC Extended Diploma in Sport and was a key player in the Women’s Football Academy who were the first College team to win all 4 National Titles in 1 year.
Check out our range of sport and fitness courses taught at our outstanding Academy for Sport.Explore