Men's Football Academy
If you live, breathe and sleep football, then we’re the college for you. You can study any of our full time school leaver study programmes in any subject, including sport or A Levels and become a member of our Men’s Football Academy.
You’ll develop the knowledge and expertise you need for a career in sport or to go on to university or an apprenticeship and gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst also training and playing football each week.
Gateshead Football Club Scholarship
We have an exclusive partnership with Gateshead Football Club and together have developed a scholarship programme which combines outstanding education and football excellence. This unique programme will enable you to gain the skills, knowledge, confidence and attitude required to build a meaningful and long lasting career in the football industry.
Development Pathway Programme
To make sure all our academy members stay at the top of their game and are able to improve, we’ve created a unique development pathway programme with a dedicated package of support for each level.
Roll of Honour
- David Carson - Inverness Caledonian Thistle
- Adam Reach - Middlesbrough FC and Sheffield Wednesday (2008-2010)
- Dean Briggs - Brisbane City FC Australia (2012-2014)
- Chris Basham – Sheffield United, Blackpool and Bolton Wanderers (2004–2006)
- Jon Mellish – Carlisle United
- Tom White - Blackburn Rovers (2015-2016)
- Elliot Forbes - Gateshead FC (2015-2018)
- 19 Regional League titles
- 11 Regional Cups
- 47 students have signed professional contracts
- 69 students have progressed on to scholarship programmes in the USA
- 18 students have played representative football (English Schools or English Colleges FA)
Meet the Coach
Mark Spencer, Head Coach
Mark was appointed as Head Coach of the Gateshead Academy in October 2020. He holds the UEFA A Licence, FA Youth Award and Level 2 in Futsal. Mark is also a qualified lecturer and understands the importance of education within the sports industry.
Mark’s former roles include Academy Manager at York City FC and Academy coach at Middlesbrough FC. He was in charge of the football development programme at Newcastle College and then moved on to assist Neil Maddison in the Football Academy at Middlesbrough College.
Over the past few years Mark has been developing SCL partnership clubs in forming new U19 Football Academies at Darlington FC and Billingham Synthonia FC.
Mark also gained valuable experience in the 2012 Olympics as a volunteer. His role was to assist the International players and staff on a day to day basis for the likes of Brazil, Spain, Mexico, South Korea and the USA women’s team at Cochrane Park in Newcastle. This allowed him the opportunity to see behind closed door training sessions and match preparation at international level.
Check out our range of sport and fitness courses taught at our outstanding Academy for Sport.Explore