If you live, breathe and sleep boxing, then we’re the college for you. You can study any of our full time school leaver programmes in sport or any other subject, including A Levels and become a member of our Boxing Academy.
You’ll develop the knowledge and expertise you need to go on to university or straight into work or an apprenticeship and gain a nationally recognised qualification whilst training every week and competing to develop your skills.
We’re the only college in the North East to offer the Advanced Apprenticeship in Sporting Excellence (AASE). You can also choose to apply for this programme, which is supported by England Boxing, and study it alongside your full time qualification with us.
Development Pathway Programme
To make sure all our academy members stay at the top of their game and are able to improve, we’ve created a unique development pathway programme with a dedicated package of support for each level.
Roll of Honour
- Cyrus Pattinson - Elite Tri-Nations Champion, GB Podium Squad. British Lionhearts WSB boxer
- Jamie Humble - Senior England International, now a professional boxer.
- Brodie Stephenson - Female National CYP Champion
- Liam Kelly - Tyne Tees and Wear Regional Champion and National Finalist and now a Boxing Development Officer at Consett YMCA
- Joseph Laws – Senior England International, English Champion
- Jordan Minchell – Senior England International
- Thomas Hodgson – Senior England Boxing Champion, GB Podium Squad
- Ethan Garretty – National Junior Flyweight Champion
During my time at college, I won 3 regional titles, reached a national semi-final and a final. I now work with schools as a boxing development officer and help run a local boxing club.
Meet the Coach
Steve Cranston, Head Coach
Steve has more than 30 years’ experience as a boxing coach. As and England Boxing Coach educator and coach assessor, he has been part of Tyne Tees and Wear ABA Coaching team since 2007, delivering squads and coaching courses throughout the region. He has also guest coached in Kuwait, Russia, Turkey and Greece.
Steve began boxing at the age of 12 and has represented Young England. He also boxed locally in North Eastern Counties and later in HM Forces, having well over 100 bouts.
Check out our range of sport and fitness courses taught at our outstanding Academy for Sport.Explore