If you live, breathe and sleep boxing, then we’re the college for you. Whether you’re an elite boxer or simply enjoy boxing as a hobby, there’s something for everyone through our DiSE programme and Boxing Academy.
England Boxing DiSE Programme.
If you’re a talented boxer with the potential to progress as a future England and GB international, our DiSE programme is ideal for you.
We are the only college in the North East, and one of only six in the country, to offer England Boxing’s educational programme aimed at elite boxers. The Level 3 Diploma in Sporting Excellence (DiSE) supports talented and committed young boxers aged 16 to 19. You’ll have the opportunity to train and compete while also studying a full-time qualification in sport or any other subject, including A Levels or a vocational course.
On the successful completion of the two-year programme, you’ll achieve 64 UCAS points in addition to the points from your main study programme.
DiSE is part of England Boxing’s long-term athlete development pathway and you’ll train 12 hours a week with our expert coach, Gavin Rickelton. The 12 hours contact time with the DiSE coach will involve high performance coaching, strength and conditioning and completing the Level 3 Diploma in Sporting Excellence.
To apply for our DiSE programme, you need to:
- Be aged between 16 and 19
- Show or have the potential to become, elite level
- Be registered with an England Boxing-affiliated club only
To find out more about the England Boxing DiSE programme, please click here.
If you enjoy putting on the gloves, jumping in the ring and a bit of sparring to keep yourself fit then you can sign up for our Boxing Academy. Developed for students who don’t want to compete at an elite level it’s ideal for anyone who wants to box as a hobby or for some physical and emotional health and wellbeing.
Meet the Coach
Gavin Rickelton, DiSE Boxing Coach
Gavin has over 20 years’ experience in amateur boxing. He started his boxing journey competing for Grainger Park Boys Club in the West End of Newcastle. After graduating with a 1st class honours degree in Sport and Exercise Science from Sunderland University, he moved into the role of an England Boxing Coach.
He has been coaching since 2010 and is currently a Level 3 England Boxing Coach. Gavin has coached in boxing clubs across the North East including North Benwell ABC, Gateshead Victoria, Forest Hall Boxing Club and he is currently coaching out of Kenton ABC at the TKO Gym in Newcastle.
Gavin has worked under some of the region’s top coaches and has developed a wealth of knowledge and experience.
Roll of Honour
- Cyrus Pattinson – GB Podium Boxer and Professional Boxer
- Joe Laws – English Champion and Professional Boxer
- Megan Bainbridge – European Silver Medallist
- Jacob Sharman – National Youth Champion
- Beau Pape – National Development Champion
- Liam Huntley – MTK Box Cup Champion
- Zoe Macdonald - U69kg Female Youth Development National Champion, U75kg Female Youth Development National Title and U70kg MTK Box Cup Champion
- George Peacock - U60kg MTK Box Cup Champion (3 times winner), National Finalist in the National Junior Championships
- Jacee Barkel - Gold Medallist WKO World Kickboxing Championships
- Dionne Mannion - National Finalist National Junior Championship
If you interested in being part of our DiSE programme or Boxing Academy, click here.
During my time at college, I won 3 regional titles, reached a national semi-final and a final. I now work with schools as a boxing development officer and help run a local boxing club.