What is Safeguarding?
Safeguarding students and staff is one of the most important things we do here at Gateshead College.
We want to protect you by helping you protect yourself. This is what safeguarding is all about every person who comes into Gateshead College is important. Therefore we want to ensure that what you say is listened to and that you feel safe, respected and treated well. If you are unhappy, worried or frightened about anything that happens during your time at College, or in your personal life we want to help you. At Gateshead College we pride ourselves in providing safe and happy environments for all. In a recent survey 98% of students who completed the survey said they felt safe in college.
What do we do at Gateshead College?
- Have clear policies and procedures in place.
- Employ a designated Safeguarding manager and a team of safeguarding staff.
- Employ a Student Health and Wellbeing Co-odinator who supports students with a range of concerns.
- All of our staff working for, or on behalf of the College, are suitable to work with young people and adults at risk, carrying out all the relevant checks.
- Actively encourage students and staff to raise any concerns they have.
- Take all concerns seriously, act upon them, and offer full support both through College and specialist services.
- Train all of our staff in safeguarding at a level appropriate to their role on an on-going basis.
How to report a concern?
If you are worried about yourself or someone you know in College please speak to any member of staff. They will ensure you get the help and support you need from a specialist member of staff.
There are some examples below of issues that would come under safeguarding:
- Bullying/harassment including online/cyber bullying
- CSE (Child Sexual Exploitation)
- Domestic violence
- Drug and alcohol abuse
- Emotional abuse
- FGM (Female Genital Mutilation)
- Forced marriage
- Gang and youth violence
- Hate crime
- Physical abuse
- Sexual abuse
Help and advice at Gateshead College is available in Student Services. Telephone 0191 490 2335 or email email@example.com.