Our degrees, HNDs and HNCs cost a lot less than you might think. Plus, there's lots of grants and loans available for full time and part time students. 



You do not need to pay these up front and may be eligible for a fees loan which will be paid direct to the college. 

In addition to the fees loan, you may apply for extra financial support. For a quick estimate of what support you might expect to receive try the student finance calculator https://www.gov.uk/student-finance-calculator


Maintenance Loan for full time courses

This is to help with living costs. The maximum amount you can borrow depends upon where you live and part of the loan depends on household income.

  • Living at home – up to £7,324 for the year
  • Living away from home – up to £8,700 for the year


Maintenance Loan for part time courses (for 2018/19 starts)

This is to help with living costs.  How much you can get depends on where you live while studying, your household income and your course intensity


Adult Dependants' Grants (ADG) – full time only

You can apply for an Adult Dependants' Grant if you have a partner or another adult who depends on you financially.  You can get up to £2,925 a year depending on your household income, which is your income plus the income of your dependants (including your husband, wife or partner).  Your personal circumstances, for example if you’re married or have children and what other grants you’re receiving, for example Childcare Grant


Parents' Learning Allowance (PLA) – full time only

This helps with course-related costs if you have dependent children.  You can get up to £1,669 a year depending on your income and the income of your husband, wife or partner and any dependant.


Childcare Grant (CCG) – full time only

You can apply for help to pay your childcare costs. You could get up to 85% of your weekly costs – a maximum of £ £164.70 per week for one child, or £282.36 per week if you have two or more children


Disabled Students’ Allowances (DSAs)

DSAs are to cover some of the extra costs you have because of a mental health problem, long term illness or any other disability.  You can get the allowances on top of your other student finance. You won’t need to repay DSAs.  How much you get depends on your individual needs and NOT your household income.


Paying it back

If you’re a full-time student you’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you finish or leave your course.  If you’re a part-time student, you’ll be due to start repaying your loan in the April after you finish or leave your course or the April four years after the first day of your course (even if you’re still studying), whichever comes first.

You’ll only start making repayments when your income is over the UK repayment threshold, which is currently £21,000 a year, £1,750 a month or £404 a week. Subject to Parliamentary approval, this is expected to change to £25,000 a year from 6 April 2018. If your income falls below the repayment threshold, repayments will stop and only re-start when your income is over the threshold.


The table gives some examples of what your repayments might be, based on the expected UK repayment threshold of £25,000 a year:

Income each year before tax

Monthly income before tax

Approximate monthly repayment

































Loan interest rates

The interest rate is based on RPI and will vary depending on your circumstances.

Your circumstances


Full-time students: While you’re studying up until 6

April after you finish or leave your course. Part-time

students – while you’re studying and until whichever

of the following dates occurs first: 6 April after

leaving your course or 6 April four years after the

first day of the first academic year of your course.



RPI plus 3%




From the April after you finish your course.



Interest will be based on your income:

• £21,000 or less = RPI

• between £21,000 and £41,000 =   

  RPI plus up to 3%, depending       

  on income

• over £41,000 = RPI plus 3%


If you don’t keep in touch with Student Finance, or fail to advise them of changes to any of your personal details.

RPI plus 3% will be applied to your loan, whatever your income, until you contact them.


If you visit https://www.gov.uk/student-finance for more information and details on how to apply.  Don't wait until you have a place confirmed before applying for finance. You can change any details later if you need to.

Students can find a range of tools, videos and guides to help you apply quickly and successfully by visiting www.thestudentroom.co.uk/studentfinance


Additional Financial Support

The Access to Learning Fund (ALF) provides discretionary financial assistance for FULL and PART time students to help you access and remain in higher education.  Any help you receive from the fund is usually non-repayable.  Please contact the Support Funds Team on 0191 490 4627 or email support.funds@gateshead.ac.uk for more information.