The Skills Academy for Sustainable Manufacturing and Innovation (SASMI) is a world class centre to train workers for green industry in the North East. The sustainable centre, based at Nissan's Washington plant, is preparing the region's workforce in the skills they need to work in the low carbon industries of the future.
The centre provides:
- A training infrastructure for sustainable manufacturing and the low carbon vehicle industry
- A world class learning facility for employers, apprentices and students, providing new skills for new jobs
- Companies across the region to access a full range of skills and training provision
- Deliver best practice from Nissan and the automotive sector.
- The centre allows individuals to be trained in the new 'green collar' economy and develop new qualifications, harnessing the expertise in this field that Gateshead College has already established.