If you want to work as a teaching assistant, classroom assistant, learning support assistant or special needs assistant in a primary, secondary and special school, this course is for you. It replaces the NVQ Level 3 teaching assistant qualification.
To gain entry to the course, you should have:
- a GCSE or equivalent at grade C or above in English
- at least one years experience working with children
- Level 2 qualification in literacy and numeracy (or be working towards this)
- a basic knowledge of ICT skills (as all assignments need to be word processed)
The course covers the following units:
- Child Protection
- Importance of positive relationships
- Supporting learning activities
- Equality, diversity and inclusion
- Observation and Assessment
You must be at least 16 years of age and be working in a school at foundation stage, or key stages 1-4, for the whole period of the course. It is expected that a teaching assistant at this level has a wide range of responsibilities within the school, either as a paid employee or regular volunteer.
Your attendance at college must be a minimum of 80% to successfully complete the course.
All students will be required to complete a Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) check following Safeguarding and Data Protection protocols.