The course is ideal if you are a qualified fitness instructor, looking to become a personal trainer.
The aim of this qualification is to develop the skills, knowledge and competence required to work unsupervised as a personal trainer. This includes being able to offer one-to-one training, baseline assessment, nutritional advice and progressive programming which is specific to the individual needs of a client.
You will cover:
- Anatomy and physiology including:
- the heart and circulatory system
- the musculoskeletal system
- postural and core stability
- the nervous, endocrine and energy systems and their relation to exercise and health
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to programme safe and effective exercise for a range of clients, the health benefits of physical activity and the importance of healthy eating
- How to communicate with clients effectively, and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- How to apply the principles of nutrition to support client goals as part of an exercise and physical activity programme
- How to design, manage, and adapt a personal training programme with apparently healthy adults of all ages
- How to deliver exercise and physical activity as part of a programme for apparently healthy adults of all ages.
You will be assessed in a variety of ways, including two separate online theory exams. You will also be expected to plan a 12 week programme for a client. In addition, you will be observed by an assessor delivering a personal training session.
Successful completion of the course will allow entry on to REPS at level 3.
This programme will be delivered by passionate, knowledgable experienced staff at Gateshead College Academy for Sport.