If you have an enthusiasm and passion for food this is the perfect course to get your career started in a fast-paced catering and hospitality industry. Opportunities include working in top restaurants and hotels, working on cruise liners and owning your own business.
Starting salaries for trainee or commis chefs are around £14,000 and can rise to £16,000 for a section chef or chef de partie. A sous chef can go on to earn £22,000 and head chefs can earn over £30,000.
This nationally recognised qualification will provide you with the basic skills and knowledge you need including:
- Food preparation and cooking techniques
- Planning menus
- Health and safety
- Essential industry legislation
- Softer skills such as communication and team working
Practical activities include:
- Bread making
- Basic vegetable preparation and cooking - discovering new ingredients and what to do with them to get the best flavour
- How to correctly handle professional kitchen knives.
- Cooking of meat and poultry dishes - this will help you understand the techniques and cooking processes that are used around the world, hopefully inspiring you try something you thought you never would.
The course is taught via theory, classroom and practical activities and throughout the course you will build a portfolio of evidence and be assessed through observations of practical tasks, which will put you in the position to seek employment when qualified.
Times & Days
The course runs on Thursdays from 3pm to 9pm.
If you are unable to attend on Thursdays, please get in touch as we can also offer some daytime courses.
Kit & Equipment
You will need to purchase a Gateshead College kit and uniform to study on the programme, details of how to buy this will be available during the course induction.
You'll study at our Baltic Campus which is equipped with industry standard training kitchens and our student-run commercial restaurant Enfields Kitchen.
On completion, you can progress onto our Level 2 in Professional Cookery.