This programme is ideal if you would like to make a difference to sporting standards and participation in the UK and have the skills and motivation to become an effective teacher, coach or development officer.
This two-year course is awarded by the University of Sunderland and is the first two years of their BSc in Sports Coaching. The course is studied at Gateshead College Academy for Sport at Gateshead International Stadium, with the option of the third year (BSc with Hons) to be based at the university, subject to meeting their entry criteria, or you can apply through UCAS for any national university.
As part of the course you will gain experience through individually-tailored work placements with the various sport and recreation providers across the North East of England. Schools, colleges, local governing bodies, council sports development providers, private clubs and leisure centres are just some examples of where we currently have placements available
Career opportunities are varied, many successful graduates from our course have gone on to achieve their BSc (Hons) and have moved into roles such as P.E. teachers, sports coaches, sports development officers, sports outreach workers and school sports coordinators.
What will I study?
- Coaching practice 1 and 2
- Physiology of exercise and sport
- Performance analysis
- Introduction to sport and exercise psychology
- Anatomy for exercise and sport
- Fitness testing and assessment
- Research methods and study skills
- Coaching theory
- Sports injury management
- Personal and Professional development
Days & Times
The delivery of the programme is flexible and is delivered over two days, Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9am-4pm, to allow you to consider aspects such as further study opportunities, gaining extra vocational experience, self-study time and overall to make students into employable sports and recreation workers.
Please note: whilst every effort is made to run all our programmes, this is subject to minimum numbers.
- 56 UCAS points from a minimum of two GCSEs / A Levels or equivalent. We will also accept PPP at BTEC Extended Diploma level.
- GCSE grade C or above (or equivalent qualifications) in Mathematics and English. If you have studied for a GCSE which has a numerical grade then you will need to achieve a grade 4 or above.
Offers will take into account any relevant employment experience. Applicants may be asked to attend an interview and present a portfolio of evidence
If English is not your first language, please refer to the University of Sunderland English Language requirements:
University of Sunderland Course Page:
FdSc Sports Coaching