On this course you will develop the skills and knowledge required to help widen access to sporting activities within communities. You will learn how to engage communities and break down barriers to participation in sporting activities. You will learn the fundamentals of coaching sport, how to develop participants through coaching sport, how to support participants' lifestyle through coaching sport and the learn the rules and regulations and officiate in a number of sport. On completion of this course you could work as a leisure or activities assistant or continue your education towards a career in sports development or leisure management.
You’ll also have the opportunity to join one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
- Access to some of the best facilities in the country with two 11-a-side 3G football pitches, sports science and medicine facilities, a performance lab, an aerobics studio and a superb 83m long athletics hall
If you prefer not to be part of the Sports Academies you will complete an employability project designed to further develop your skills.
You study programme will include the following:
- Health, safety and welfare in sport and active leisure
- Factors affecting participation in sport and active leisure
- Sports development
- Safeguarding and protecting children and young people in sport and active leisure
- Planning, delivery and evaluation of activities.
- Fundamentals of coaching sport
- Rules and regulations and officiating
- Working with participants with disabilities in sport and active leisure
In addition to this you will study English and maths if you don't already have a grade 4 or above in either of these and you will undertake a work placement in the leisure industry.
How will your learning programme be structured?
- An induction to the qualification and your programme of learning and assessment.
- A learning programme which meets your needs and the qualification requirements.
- A programme of assessment, spread throughout the course, including observations of you carrying out your duties as an activity leader / coach.
Our teachers are ambitious, talented and passionate about making your experience at college the very best it can be. They have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
At the end of the programme, you will be provided with formal feedback on your performance and an action plan for your further development.
Fast-track to an apprenticeship
You can start on this programme and fast track to an apprenticeship once you’re ready and a vacancy becomes available. Sign up to our apprenticeship alerts and we’ll keep you up to date with all the latest vacancies. Plus our team will help you with your CV or application and help you prepare for interview.