This programme gives you the knowledge and skills to be able to apply the principles of science to enhancing sports performance and develop the foundations for a career in sport. You’ll have the opportunity to study a wide range of scientific concepts in a sporting context including: sports science, sports research, health and exercise, applied sports practice such as sports massage and sports injuries and coaching for performance and fitness. You’ll also complete a work placement.
In year two you can choose an extended diploma in sport and exercise science or our diploma in health and fitness. On completion you could continue on one of our foundation degrees, go on to further study at university or go into employment within the health and fitness industry or coaching.
A study programme is more than a qualification; it includes all the ingredients to make you the best you can be, to give you an edge in the jobs market or if you’re moving onto further study.
It is personal to you and is made up of a range of activity. The majority of time will be spent on the qualification you choose to study and will be a mix of practical work and theory, all shaped around the technical skills and knowledge that employers are looking for. The rest of your time will be spent in English and maths, work experience, tutorials and reviews along with a range of other activities all designed to boost your CV.
Our teachers are ambitious, talented and passionate about making your experience at college the very best it can be. They have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
Choose from one of our sport academies
You’ll have the opportunity to join one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
- Access to some of the best facilities in the country with two 11-a-side 3G football pitches, sports science and medicine facilities, a performance lab, an aerobics studio and a superb 83m long athletics hall
If you prefer not to be part of a Sport Academy you will complete an employability project designed to further develop your skills.