The course is aimed at individuals who are already a qualified fitness instructor.
The aim of this qualification is to develop the skills, knowledge and competence required in order to work unsupervised as a personal trainer. This includes being able to offer one-to-one training, baseline assessment, nutritional advice and progressive programming which is specific to the individual needs of a client.
Your study programme will give you the opportunity to continue your academic development, take part in valuable work experience and enhance your employability skills such as English and maths.
You’ll have the opportunity to join one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist
- sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
- Access to some of the best facilities in the country with two 11-a-side 3G football pitches, sports science and medicine facilities, a performance lab, an aerobics studio and a superb 83m long athletics hall
If you prefer not to join a sports academy you will become a member of our fitness academy group which takes part in and leads fitness activities at the Academy for Sport.
You will study:
- Anatomy and physiology
- Sports conditioning
- The principles of exercise and fitness, programming and nutrition
- Instructing and adapt personal training sessions
- Effective working relationships with clients
- Health, safety and welfare in the fitness environment
- Planning and delivering a group exercise session in an outdoor environment
- Business planning
Fast-track to an apprenticeship
If you can’t find the right apprenticeship vacancy or you want to do some studying first - no problem. You can start on a vocational study programme then once you’re ready and a vacancy becomes available, we’ll help you transfer on to an apprenticeship.