This course will prepare you for work in the health and fitness industry.
- Anatomy and physiology
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments
- How to communicate with and motivate clients
- Employment law
- Industry-specific legislation
- Customer service
- Diet and lifestyle
- How to plan group exercise sessions
- How to instruct a variety of exercise sessions.
On completion you can progress on to our Level 3 programmes, for example our Diploma in Personal Training.
You’ll have the opportunity to join one of our nine sport academies, where you will get:
- Up to 9 hours of professional training each week, access to competitions and specialist
- sport academy coaches
- Free access to physiotherapy assessments and treatment
- The opportunity to compete in local, national and international competitions
- A personalised training and development programme
- Access to some of the best facilities in the country with two 11-a-side 3G football pitches, sports science and medicine facilities, a performance lab, an aerobics studio and a superb 83m long athletics hall
If you prefer not to join a sports academy you will become a member of our fitness academy group which takes part in and leads fitness activities at the Academy for Sport.
Your study programme
You will cover the following:
- Anatomy and physiology covering the heart and circulatory system, the respiratory system, structure and function of the skeleton, musculoskeletal system, postural and core stability, the nervous and energy systems and their relation to exercise
- How to maintain health, safety and welfare in a variety of fitness environments, including the safeguarding of children and vulnerable adults
- How to communicate with clients effectively and motivate clients to adhere to an exercise programme
- Employment law, industry-specific legislation and procedures that apply to their jobs
- The subsectors that make up the active leisure and learning sector
- An understanding of the principles of customer service
- An understanding of the benefits of a balanced diet and its contribution to a healthy lifestyle
- How to plan and prepare group exercise sessions
- How to programme a variety of safe and effective exercise sessions for a range of clients
- How to instruct a variety of exercise sessions
You will also study:
- Level 2 instructing a circuit class
- Level 2 in Health and Exercise for Children
- Planning and designing health and fitness activity for children
- Deliver a health and fitness activity for children
You will also study English and maths if you don't already have a grade C or above in either of these subjects.
- Level 3 Certificate in Personal Training (learners must hold a Level 2 Certificate in Gym-based Exercise)
- Level 3 Diploma in Exercise Referral for Specified Controlled Certificate in Personal Training
- Level 3 Award in Programming and Supervising Exercise with Disabled Clients
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Yoga
- Level 3 Diploma in Teaching Pilates
Our teachers are ambitious, talented and passionate about making your experience at college the very best it can be. They have up to date industry experience to share with you and the energy and enthusiasm to help you to get where you need to be.
Fast-track to an apprenticeship
You can start on this programme and fast track to an apprenticeship once you’re ready and a vacancy becomes available. Sign up to our apprenticeship alerts and we’ll keep you up to date with all the latest vacancies. Plus our team will help you with your CV or application and help you prepare for interview.