Designed to develop your skills and knowledge in carpentry and joinery to prepare you for employment.
The course is made up of the following units:
- Health, safety and welfare in construction and associated industries
- Maintain and use carpentry and joinery hand tools
- Produce woodworking joints
- Prepare and use carpentry and Joinery portable power tools
- Knowledge of construction technology
- Knowledge of technical information, quantities and communication with others.
Your progress will be monitored through a series of short on-line tests, regular practical assessments and an extensive skills test at the end of the course.
On completion, you'll be able to progress to:
- Level 2 Diploma in Site Carpentry
- Level 2 Diploma in Bench Joinery
- Level 1 NVQ Diploma in Wood Occupations
- An Apprenticeship
Getting the Employment Edge
If you’re looking to work in construction you need to have a minimum level of health, safety and environmental awareness before going on site. Gateshead College will help you become job ready by paying for all of our construction students and apprentices to complete the CITB Health, safety & environment (HS&E) test. We’ll also help you apply for a Construction Skills Certification (CSCS) Card, which is a requirement for all workers and trainees no matter your job role. On many construction sites you won’t be able to enter unless you have passed the HS&E and/or have a valid CSCS card.
Once you’ve passed the HS&E test you’ll be able to gain work experience with local companies to practice the skills you learn at college in the real world. Gaining this experience is ideal for moving onto an apprenticeship or full-time employment.
Fast track to an apprenticeship
You can start on this programme and fast track to an apprenticeship once you’re ready and a vacancy becomes available. Sign up to our apprenticeship alerts and we’ll keep you up to date with all the latest vacancies. Plus our team will help you with your CV or application and help you prepare for interview.