Applications for this programme are on hold until after our Selection Day in June. If you would still like to register your interest and be placed on our waiting list, please complete the application form on this page.
Ford Engineering, one of the most successful engineering businesses in our region, has teamed up with Gateshead College to set up the Ford Engineering Academy. Designed to help you to build the skills, knowledge and confidence employers are looking for, the academy will put you in the best possible position to go onto successfully secure an engineering or manufacturing apprenticeship or your first job in the industry.
- Training programme designed by one of the most successful engineering companies in our region
- Practical skills training based on what employers want
- High quality work experience placement
- Embedded English and maths skills
- Guaranteed employer interview
- CV support to help you secure an apprenticeship
About the academy
Pioneered by Geoff Ford MBE, the academy was set up to give young people the skills, knowledge and experience they need to start a successful engineering career or find an apprenticeship. As Chairman of Ford Engineering, a multi-million pound business that supplies precision-machined components to the global aerospace market, Geoff recognised a need to provide good quality, foundation training that focused on developing both the skills and attitudes that employers are looking for. Teaming up with Gateshead College, ranked outstanding by Ofsted and with the best achievement rates in the region, two unique training programmes have been designed at Level 1 and Level 2.
The six-month programme will include the key skills and knowledge of engineering:
- Health and safety
- Carrying out engineering activities efficiently and effectively
- Using and communication technical information
- Preparing and using lathes for turning operations
- Preparing and using milling machines
- Producing mechanical engineering drawing using a CAD system
The qualification will also cover:
- Work preparation training
- English and maths qualifications (if required)
- High quality work experience