This apprenticeship will build the skills, knowledge and behaviours you need to ensure you retail managers can deliver on sales targets, provide a positive experience to customers that will build brand loyalty and lead and develop effective teams.
The training is relevant to managers in any retail sector, from small boutiques and large high street chains to supermarkets and well-known department stores as well as more specialist retailers include funeral services, garden centres, delicatessens and remote sales including telephone, on-line and mail order retail.
Designed by employers from across the retail industry, the apprenticeship includes the core skills, behaviours and knowledge required.
The apprenticeship comprises of on and off the job training either at college or on employer premises where appropriate. Within a minimum of 12 months Apprentices will cover knowledge components such as:
- How managing positive customer experiences increases sales, loyalty and finances.
- Understand the vision of the business, its competitive position and business objectives.
- Key drivers of profitable retail performance and the relationship of forecasting.
- Key factors influencing a marketing plan and ways of marketing via physical and other media.
- Knowledge of product ranges, brand development, promotions, current and future trends.
- How brand reputation can become compromised and the impact on the business.
- Key features of merchandising and links to achieve sales targets.
- Technology requirements of the business, efficient retail operations and service.
- Know how to recruit, retain and develop the right people for the right roles.
- Understand environmental, legislative, corporate, data protection and social responsibilities.
- Understand how local demographics impact on business, customers, staff and products.
The skills and behaviours that apprentices will develop throughout the programme include:
- Take overall accountability and responsibility for the customers’ experience.
- Demonstrate personal responsibility for the strategic direction and exceed business objectives.
- Manage the overall performance of the team to achieve financial targets.
- Demonstrate commercial acumen and confidence to initiate change.
- Influence, challenge and involve others, aligning personal values with those of the company.
- Take positive actions to maximise opportunities for sales and effective marketing.
- Analyse and interpret product / service sales information and use it for future planning.
- Ensure effective merchandising set up, monitoring and maintenance in own area of business.
- Monitor and take ownership of the stock management system to minimise the cost of damage.
- Drive efficiency in the implementation and use of new opportunities in technology for retail.
- Build effective team dynamics/relationships and recruit the right people for the job.
- Review adherence to legislation and regulations / policies for due diligence.
Apprentices will also complete essential maths and English skills during this programme.
Through an effective, ongoing review and evaluation process, employees’ skills, knowledge and behavior will be assessed every two months. Practical observations, professional discussions, set tasks and a reflective log will establish learning and performance. A variety of methods will be used at the end to establish competency such as: written exam with a combination of short and extended answer questions, independent end assessment, presentation of a retail business project and a professional discussion between the learner and assessor.
The apprenticeship will take a minimum of 12 months to complete however it is envisaged that this apprenticeship will typically take 18 months to achieve.
Apprentices will be required to have or achieve level 2 English and Math’s prior to completion of their Apprenticeship. It is expected that Apprentices would have worked in a supervisory role within the industry prior to the start of learning. Progression pathways include: store manager, senior retail manager, area manager.
This apprenticeship standard is set at Level 4