Software Development Technicians
This standard is for employers looking to recruit and train people who will work as part of a software development team, to build simple software components (whether web, mobile or desktop applications) to be used by other members of the team as part of larger software development projects. They will interpret simple design requirements for discrete components of the project under supervision. The approach will typically include implementing code, which other team members have developed, to produce the required component. The Software Development Technician will also be engaged in testing that the specific component meets its intended functionality.
Job roles covered - Software Development Technician, Junior Developer, Junior Web Developer, Junior Application Developer, Junior Mobile App Developer, Junior Games Developer, Junior Software Developer, Junior Application Support Analyst, Junior Programmer, Assistant Programmer and Automated Test Developer.
Apprentices will learn about how to:
• understand and operate at all stages of the software development lifecycle
• understand the similarities and differences (taking into account positives and negatives of both approaches) between agile and waterfall software development methodologies
• understand how teams work effectively to produce software and contributes appropriately
• understand and applies software design approaches and patterns and can interpret and implement a given design, compliant with security and maintainability requirements
• understand and respond to the business environment and business issues related to software development
• understand and applies the maths required to be a software developer (eg algorithms, logic and data structures)
Apprentices must achieve one internationally recognised vendor or professional qualification such as:
- Oracle SQL Developer
- Oracle Java Certifed
- BCS Systems Development Essentials
English and Maths
Level 2 English and Maths will need to be achieved, if not already, prior to taking the end point assessment.
This apprenticeship is recognised for entry onto the register of IT Technicians confirming SFIA level 3 professional competence and those completing the apprenticeship are eligible to apply for registration
The duration of this apprenticeship is typically 24 months.
This is a level 4 Apprenticeship